Since our founding in 1979, the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence have raised and distributed over one million dollars to non-profit organizations that serve needy communities. Each year, we raise thousands more. The next time you see a Sister with a collection bucket, drop a couple of bucks in, because the money goes right back to the community.
Historically, The Sisters have given grants to under-funded, smaller organizations and projects providing direct services to our communities. The majority of these organizations and projects receive little, if any, government or main-stream funding and may be in the early stages of development. Our grants are typically $250 to $1,000.
We are especially attracted to progressive projects that promote wellness, identity, tolerance and diversity within our communities. We have a vision that encompasses diverse communities and groups that have a common interest in human rights, people of every gender, gender identity, race, class, age and sexual orientation.
The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence have three annual distribution cycles for our Grants: Easter (March/April), Pink Saturday (June) and Saturnalia (December). We accept grant proposals throughout the year.
2013 Grants Schedule:
Easter Cycle deadline: Friday, March 15, 2013
Pink Saturday Cycle deadline: Friday, June 14, 2013
Saturnalia Cycle Deadline: Friday, December 6, 2013
Grant proposal deadlines and grant dispersal dates subject to change.
Please note: failure to include any of the information listed below may result in your proposal being denied.
1. Start your proposal with a short paragraph that clearly states who you are, how much you are asking for, what you plan to do with the grant and how we can get in touch with you.
2. Please provide contact information including phone number(s) and e-mail(s), as well as the name of an actual individual we may contact if we have any questions. If you have a Web site, give us your URL so that we can take a look. Please also let us know who to make the check out to should your proposal be selected and an address that we may send the check to. We prefer that you or someone from your organization pick up the check in person at our grants ceremony if at all possible.
If you are not a non-profit, provide us with the name of the non-profit that serves as your fiscal agent/sponsor. We will also need the name and contact information of someone at the fiscal agent/sponsor we can call if we have questions.
3. Please provide a copy of your Internal Revenue Service letter of determination of 501(c)3 non-profit status or arrangements with a fiscal agent and their 501(c)3 status. We will not release funds until we have proof of the 501(c)3 status.
4. Please show the specific need for a grant, i.e.: startup costs, equipment not covered by normal operating budget, program incentives, direct service costs and scholarships. Ineligible requests include: Capital Campaign, funding for salaries, general operating expenses, individual's projects or travel expenses.
We generally look for how this money can be best utilized to serve the needs of our communities. Show us what you can do!
5. Please provide an annual budget for your organization and a budget for the project funds are being requested for. If your group has a budget over $100,000 and/or paid staff, please explain why this funding is being requested. If your project is using a fiscal agent we only need to see your project budget.
6. Submit your proposal to: The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Inc.
Attn: Grants Committee
584 Castro Street
PMB # 392
San Francisco, CA 94114-2594